Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Forgiveness

I need to forgive the people who actively support and are working to pass the GOP healthcare bill. Lately I’ve seen a slew of hatred aimed at the people behind the bill, not just the bill itself, and I’m afraid I’m quite guilty of this as well. As horrific as this proposed legislation is, as devastating as it will be for people like me, it isn’t worth adding more hatred to the world. Not hatred directed at the individual people responsible for this bill, at least. I need to forgive the people behind this bill, even as I believe they need to be held accountable for the millions of lives it will harm should it pass into law. It’s hard to know what that really looks like though.

How can I forgive people for something they believe is right for them to do? How can I personally forgive those behind this bill while continuing to make clear it is an immoral attack on people like me? Our society tends to frame forgiveness as a three-step process: person A apologizes, Person B accepts that apology, and finally Person B bestows forgiveness, ending the matter. Forgiveness is most-often taught as a response to an apology, not something offered freely and especially not given to those who feel no remorse. Forgiveness is usually thought of as the end of the matter too. ‘Forgive and forget,’ we say. And that just doesn’t apply here, at all. It’s just not how forgiveness works in this—and actually all—situations.

In the situation of this so-called “healthcare” bill, many legislators are working diligently to pass it into law, making deals to win over those on the fence about voting yes. Many people believe they are doing the right thing and would doubtless do it again if they got the chance. I don’t expect anyone working on this bill to apologize for it after it goes into effect and kicks people out of elder care facilities or cuts off treatment for children with disabilities who are on Medicaid. Or kills people like me with cancer who easily surpass lifetime and annual limits for their insurance coverage. Here, as in actually every other situation, forgiveness must be freely offered. I haven’t begun to do that, and I need to.

Forgiveness, as I see it, is not a favor given only in return for a sincere apology. It is a conscious choice to not hold a person’s actions against them, whether or not they apologize or even recognize a need to offer an apology. It is essentially waiving our right to use another’s actions as leverage against them or as an excuse to retaliate. It doesn’t mean everything will go back to the way it was. It doesn’t mean you have to forget what the other person did. But it does mean you cannot hate them for their actions, no matter how much you might hate their actions. Now, I don’t know how exactly to waive my right to hold this bill against people, to forgive them for their role in passing it while never accepting it and working to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. But I have some ideas of where to start.

Forgiveness for this bill means I won’t let myself hate any of the people responsible for it, as a start. Be they voters who supported candidates calling for an ACA repeal or the legislators themselves who are working on it and whipping up votes, I must not let myself fall into hatred for any human being. They might be the closest thing I have to enemies, but even (and especially) so I must love them and pray for them. I have not and am not, so I will start there. Forgiveness for the terrible wrong of this bill also means that I will not let it affect how I interact with people who do support it. It means I must never let my words or tone become harsher because of this bill. It means I must not answer in-kind when I get into arguments over this legislation and instead seek always to simply state my case for opposing the bill, rather than descend into personal attacks. It means, in short, that I must treat all people with equal dignity as image-bearers of God, whether or not I agree with their politics—or really, if they agree with mine.

But forgiveness in this context doesn’t mean I will ever accept this bill or stop fighting it. It doesn't mean that if I die due to this legislation I don't still want my death held up as an example of why this law is terrible. It doesn’t mean that I won’t voice my opposition to the policies of the people who champion this bill and hope for or even work towards their losing reelection so they are no longer in a position to pass further, more damaging laws like this one. After all, forgiving a bully or an abuser doesn’t mean you have to spend time with them again, especially if they make no moves towards contrition and repentance. Forgiveness for this bill also doesn't mean I will stop fighting against this horrendous legislation any way I can while seeking to continually improve our healthcare system so it truly works for everyone, as I believe should be our goal. Simply stated, it doesn’t mean I’ll forgive and forget. I will forgive, but I will still remember—with fierce sadness instead of bitter anger, though.


So, to any and all who support the healthcare bill being worked on by the Republican Party right now, I forgive you. I love you. And please, please reconsider.

2 comments:

  1. I always tell my children, now as well as when they were small, to use their power for good, not evil. You are not only doing that, but are a role model to all of us as we strive to do what is good and right in this world. I continue to lift you up in prayer, and ask the Lord to watch over you and your family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and struggles and faith and love. YOU make the world a better place. Though I have not met you, I was lucky enough to meet both your mom and dad and sister Ariane recently and spend a little time with them and Seth and Korynne. I pray that you feel well and can thoroughly enjoy your sister Korynne coming home for a visit in a couple weeks. Seth will be with her and is really looking forward to spending some time with the people that Korynne loves and cares about. Keep writing and inspiring. I also pray that the Health Care Bill is not passed till changes occur that make it a good thing for many, many more groups of people. Thank you for another well thought-out and well-written post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiveness that God offers us is there as soon as we confess to our wrongs. God has an attitude of putting out the possibility that forgiveness is always there when I confess my wrong. I think we can use the same standard. I also believe it is different when organizations are promoting the wrong than when an individual does wrong.

    Now I totally agree I must love those individuals who want this bill. It doesn't mean I have to agree with them and I do all I can to stop it. So the question is how do I love the individual who is promoting this wrong. I don't call them names, I don't attack them even when they attack me. I show kindness to them any time I get a chance. Now this is not easy especially the stronger they are in believing only they are correct. To love them is being willing to listen to them. I must not be afraid to listen because of fear that I might be convinced to also do wrong. To really listen and try to understand their story. How well do I do at this? Not very well. I can also set up safe boundaries so that I am not harassed by a person. I do know there are many people who support the bill but are still kind people who listen and do not attack me.

    ReplyDelete