Monday, March 27, 2017

March 27th, 2017

Over two weeks have passed since my last surgery, but I'm still very much recovering from it. The biggest hurdles left to overcome at this point are side-effects more than anything else. My various incision sites are all healing well, and my right shoulder—which has a cool new scar from the thoracotomy—is getting less sore and becoming increasingly mobile. I'll need to continue stretching and exercising it, but it's progressing well for the most part. The tougher challenges are rib soreness and a weird, superficial numbness around my ribs and across my chest. The combination of the two means that my breathing has a lot further to go yet; normally I can easily inhale 4+ liters, but right now I’m barely able to get 2. It’s definitely a work in progress still.

But at least I can focus on surgery recovery and, for now, don’t have to worry about the prospect of losing healthcare coverage. I can remain on my $40,000 a month chemo and continue to incur an average $1million a year in treatment costs without getting cut off for being too expensive. I can again look forward to someday completing treatment, working, and buying my own insurance without fear of being rejected for my numerous pre-existing conditions.

The news that the AHCA would not even be put up for a vote elicited far more than a simple sigh of relief from me, though my joy was tempered somewhat by the knowledge that a key part of its failure came from numerous representatives who thought it didn’t go far enough in stripping consumer protections that enable me to have at least a semblance of a fighting chance against my cancer. It boggles my mind, but such is the world in which we live, and such is the consequences of rampant selfishness cheaply-veneered as virtuous self-reliance and personal responsibility, rather than an emphasis on caring for others and recognizing our shared responsibilities. For now though, I’m going to take a little break from thinking about the possible destruction of healthcare in this country and work on my incentive spirometer. Next goal: 2.5 liters.

No comments:

Post a Comment