Sunday, December 20, 2015

December 20th, 2015

Tomorrow I'll be in New York City for an ultrasound of my stomach. The last set of scans came back somewhat inconclusive, and it seems I have a buildup of fluid in my abdomen. We'll know more tomorrow, but the plan is to drain it, a simple procedure compared to everything else I've had done. The scans also highlighted two spots of interest, both at the bottom of my lungs, likely inflammation from radiation, but we won't know with much certainty until I have more scans in a month. For now, we continue to live scan-to-scan, waiting and hoping for conclusively cancer-free results.

It seems fitting that we spend this Advent season waiting for good news, news that will usher in a brighter future. Advent is, after all, about waiting for the arrival of the Messiah, the deliverer who will establish God's kingdom here on Earth.  Waiting for a God who enters into the messiness and uncertainty of this world, and looking for a tomorrow made better by God’s presence in it, seem especially fitting activities as I wait for definitively clear scans, whether or not I ever get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment