Wednesday, October 10, 2018

October 10th, 2018


This is long overdue and I apologize for the silence here. I don’t really have an explanation other than I wasn’t sure what to do with this blog, given the change in my circumstances that’s happened recently.

As you may have heard elsewhere, like Twitter or Facebook, I received the dreaded scan results I’ve always sort of known would one day come but kept on hoping wouldn’t until tomorrow or the day after. My cancer has begun to grow exponentially and has spread throughout my abdomen and chest, from my pelvis into my neck. It has also worked its way into my liver, which had always been free of disease before. Cancer does that sometimes. Mine has been very slow-growing until now. What had been a fairly well-managed, chronic condition is now a definitively terminal one, and I’m looking at weeks to months. With that news fresh in my mind I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with this space, hence the break in posts.

Christina and I decided to go on a bucket-list type trip to Europe, a continent neither of us had visited previously. Our trip last week was a wonderful and much-needed escape, and I cannot thank everyone who helped to fund our travels enough.

I also have some exciting developments happening in the book-publishing department, which I will share more about when I am able. Stay tuned!

As for cancer treatment, there’s really nothing left to try. We were never realistically looking at curative treatments anyways, but now it’s really down to hopefully slowing growth enough to buy a little more time than I’d otherwise get. I’m on Votrient again, which will turn my hair white but not much else by way of side-effects. For now I feel fairly well, so long as I have my digestive enzyme supplements with every meal.

I think that’s about all the news since my last post. I’ll post here some as I have reflections to share. I’ve got a couple half-finished drafts waiting for a little more time and attention before I share them here. That’s all I have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment